Assessment & Treatment
Child / Parent Therapy
Services for Children/Adolescents, Parents and Families:
- Individual Therapy for children and adolescents
- Parent Sessions with a Psychologist
- Family Therapy
- DBT Family Skills Training workshops
Why the Child / Parent Therapy Model?
Parents, you know it well: what the child needs and the parent needs are often different. This is the reason our Child/Parent Model was created and what makes it so effective: it focuses on the individual needs of BOTH.
The Child/Parent Model assigns one therapist for the child and one for the parents, yet information and dialogue can flow freely to ensure progress and understanding. The result is a stronger child/parent relationship going forward.
Why Two Therapists?
Simply put, it’s the most effective approach we’ve ever seen. Here’s why:
- Trust. For any child to open up with a therapist, he or she must experience a safe, supportive environment and know that the therapist will not simply turn around and repeat session details directly to the parent.
- Common skills. When the child/adolescent gains new communication or behavior skills, it’s vital that the parent(s) know how to recognize, understand and reinforce them.
- Shared understanding. Just as in adult interactions, each person learns to use the words and actions that lead to improved communication, respect and understanding.
Although logic might imply that two therapists would cost twice as much, the overall time spent in therapy is typically no more, and sometimes even less, than the one-therapist approach. So it usually doesn’t cost any more.
What to Expect:
We know that as a caring, invested parent, you’ve probably read the books, attended classes and done some work to be the very best you can be. Rather than a static program or book, our goal is to create more of an "operating manual" specific to your child/adolescent. We do this by starting with a thorough evaluation of what is going on, before jumping into treatment. We will share this information with you in practical terms and match our recommendations to what you are looking for.