Assessment & Treatment
Assessment / Testing
The foundation for successful treatment: proper diagnosis.
Children, adolescents and adults all require an accurate diagnosis before recommendations can be made for treatment. A thorough evaluation includes some form of psychological, personality, or academic testing.
Your assessment, along with the feedback it provides you, makes it possible for us to:
- Quickly get to know you or your child.
- Propose treatment recommendations tailored to your needs.
- Drive continuing treatment.
- Look back and see the progress you have made.
- PLUS – it helps you understand yourself better, too!
Test results can be useful outside of therapy.
With your consent, your therapist can share what is learned in the evaluation with your healthcare providers such as a primary care doctor or psychiatrist. The evaluation results can be very helpful to them in making informed decisions about medication and general medical treatment.
If you or your child has been evaluated, a written report can be shared with outside institutions such as schools to develop individualized education plans (IEP’s) and decisions about accommodations for taking tests.
General Assessment of Personality and Emotional Functioning
- Used at the beginning of the therapy process to help develop an individualized treatment plan with specific treatment recommendations.
- May be done at the request of psychiatrists and other medical professionals to help clarify diagnosis and assist in medication treatment decisions.
- Used to assess for Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in children and adults.
Educational, Learning Disabilities and Developmental Disorders
- Used to help determine Academically Gifted placement within the school system.
- Used with children and adults to assess for learning disabilities and developmental disorders, such as dyslexia and Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Early Entry to Kindergarten Evaluation
- Used to assess your child’s readiness for early kindergarten entrance.
(919) 406-6014   Biancamaria Penati, Ph.D.