Assessment & Treatment
Deborah Planting, L.P.A.
Deborah Planting, L.P.A.
Deborah Planting has been in practice since 2000 and works with individuals 20 years and older. Her areas of expertise include anxiety and stress, burnout, anger management, trauma, depression, grief, and loss. She is trained in cognitive behavioral therapy, EMDR, solution-focused therapy, and hypnosis. She also supervises the neurofeedback services at GMH.
Born and raised in upstate New York before studying and living abroad, Deborah’s compassion for clients has been influenced and enriched by a life experience that has encompassed both happiness and deep loss. She has learned to adapt to new environments and also a change of career.
Deborah provides a warm and welcoming environment in which she will encourage you to (re)discover and nurture your strengths and resources while discouraging negative self talk. The therapist/client relationship is a unique one in which it is important for the client to feel comfortable enough to share whatever thoughts, feelings, and behaviors getting in the way of contentment, confidence, and general well-being. Both laughter and tears are honored. You will learn concrete tools for decreasing anxiety, anger, and depression. Trained in EMDR therapy, Deborah can work with you to become more aware of and reprocess events from the past that may be interfering with the present. Deborah’s goal oriented approach helps you expand the areas of life that are working well, while paying attention to various ways that specific issues can be resolved.
Change is a part of life. Some changes are welcome while other changes we would rather avoid and ignore. I want you to have a greater sense of confidence so that you are more able to deal with life’s bumpy road. Often people wonder how long the therapeutic process will take. My philosophy is that therapy should last as short as possible and as long as necessary.
When not in the office, Deborah can be found spending as much time as possible with her friends, children, and grandchildren, working on projects, mastering a new recipe in the kitchen, and learning how to play the drums.
“It’s never too late to be what you might have been” George Eliot
- American Psychological Association
- North Carolina Association of Professional Psychologists
- International Society for Neurofeedback and Research
- American Society for Clinical Hypnosis (ASCH)
- ASCH Faculty, regional hypnosis workshops
- Former Board Member, the Medical Hypnosis Foundation
- EMDR International Association (EMDRIA)
- Featured in a Dutch television documentary about the treatment of burnout.
- Wrote an article in a Dutch magazine about exploring solution-focused methods in working with adolescents.
Education / Training
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, University of Amsterdam
- B.S., Syracuse University
- Solution-Focused Therapy specialty training with the founders of the method, Steve de Shazer and Insoo Kim Berg
- Extensive neurofeedback training - EEGer and Brainpaint systems
- Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist, the American Society for Clinical Hypnosis
- Certified trainer for the QuitSmart smoking cessation program
- North Carolina Licensed Psychological Associate # 2716